Tourism and Visitor Management in Protected Areas - Guidelines for Sustainability
- A publication in the IUCN Best Practice Protected Area Guidelines Series
- Project sponsors: IUCN World Commission on Protected Areas, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammerarbeit (GIZ) on behalf the Federal German Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), and the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs. North Carolina State University Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management provided significant in-kind support.
Online Database of Sustainable Tourism Guidelines and Resources
Search all contents of this website, including all online references cited in the 2016 Best Practice Guidelines Book and a global collection of guidelines, handbooks, manuals and other resources pertinent to sustainable tourism and visitor management in protected areas.
Search terms can include any combinations of:
- Topic keywords
- Authors or organizations
- Geographic scope
Search results with a 'PDF' prefix indicate an available PDF document. Acrobat or Acrobat Reader software program is required for viewing.
For a full list of all documents contained in the database, visit
If you would like to suggest a relevant guideline, manual or resource for this online database, please complete the publication submission form.
The 2016 Sustainable Tourism Best Practice Guidelines Book
- Editors and Contributors
- Table of Contents and Book References (under revision)
- Download the IUCN Publications Committee Review Copy of the 2016 Guidelines Book (ver. 8 October 2015)
- Full Text of the Published 2016 Guidelines Book (Acrobat PDF format) [ English | Deutsch | Français | Español ] (forthcoming 2016)